Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Update, preterm labor day 1

So, the day isn't over yet but I'm still pregnant! Ruth has been quite the trooper putting up with all these contractions. They been slowly increasing my magnesium, hoping to stop them completely, but they have at least slowed down. Most of them aren't little ones either, ouch! After all day npo (nothing to eat or drink), a bunch of begging, and a really awesome nurse, we convinced the doc to come see if I can eat. One of the fetal surgery fellows came in and checked me over, checked my cervix (which is still dilated but no change since this morning), she reluctantly agreed to let me eat. So that's great news, meaning she doesn't think Ruth will make her appearance just yet. Matt is keeping his ticket for Saturday since he was planning on coming to visit then anyway. Please keep praying, Ruth needs to cook a little while longer!



Well, not a post I wanted to write. I found myself admitted back into the hospital. I woke up this morning with contractions, and went up to be monitored. After seeing strong regular contractions and some dilation, I am now admitted. They gave me a steriod shot to help the baby's lungs mature, and I am on magnesium sulfate to stop contractions. They have slowed down but definitely not stopped. Right now the plan is to stay in the hospital, hoping they can get the labor to stop. If things become emergent then they will deliver her via c-section, hopefully not until at least the steriods have a chance to mature her lungs. I wasn't given a whole lot of hope to be released before she is born, which will likely be in the next week or two. We are hoping for at least 34 weeks, about 2.5 weeks from now. Please pray that she can hold out at least that long. I will post updates when I can.